Monday, November 30, 2009

Back to Work and a Cautionary Tale

For those who think I am just traveling through Europe all on the taxpayer’s dime, you are only partially right.

First, I must admit, it is “taxpayers money". Fulbright is a part of the State Department, which of course is funded by your tax dollars. So Thanks a Bunch! I am enjoying myself!

Alas, I must also work. As mentioned in previous blogs, I have three classes plus one seminar that meets on occasional weekends. Two of my classes are Master’s level and one is Bachelor’s level, all in the School of Management and Economics. Also, as noted before, I am teaching basically the same classes here that I do in the US. In fact, I am even using the same book, study questions and examination format as I would for my American students. So, I think these are fair comparisons.

Here are some of my observations on the students.

Quite a bit is made in the news about ”foreigners“ taking US jobs. This first started in manufacturing in the 1970s, and in recent years has moved into services and even managerial jobs. The US had a great advantage for several decades in the job market. So, what have I learned based on teaching the next generation of European workers?....

Frankly these Polish and other European students are as strong as students in the US. They are as driven, they want to take risks. Many want to start their own businesses.

Keep in mind, my students are young enough that they have really never lived a day under Communism. Frankly, they know little about Communism. I actually know more (given the fact I was a Cold War child and history nerd). I tell them stories..... Furthermore, they do not care about Communism. That is something in their history books or stories that Grandma tells. Young students today are about jobs, careers, Capitalism and money.

I have asked my students (the ones near graduation) what their future plans are. About half wish to stay in Poland and about half want to move to other parts of the EU or Asia. Interestingly, I have not met any student that desires to move to the US.

That said, all of these students are very proficient in English. They realize English is the international language of business and globalization, and they chose to take their degree in the English language. There is a parallel Polish language track, but they want to work in English. Interestingly, they also have a desire to learn Spanish.  It is the second most common language requested here.

One of the reasons I am here, is there are more students who want to take classes in English, than there are professors that can teach in English. That also says something about the generational difference. As children, many current professors learned Polish and Russian, or Polish and German. Most of the Professors at my business school CAN speak reasonable English (to have a conversation), but they are not confident enough in it to teach or give lectures.

So, is there a worry about foreign graduates taking the jobs of US graduates? Absolutely.  Even if you argue that US students vs foreign students are ”the same“ when it comes to intellect, skills, desire, entrepreneurship, etc, it still increases the candidates for jobs well beyond the US borders. Actually, if you do the math, our American college educated job pool now only makes up a fraction of the world’s English speaking college educated job pool. Of course, companies know this. I have seen many of the big US and European companies (like Coke, Dell Computers, etc) all here recruiting.

Not to get political on you, but you can take the Lou Dobbs approach, and call for the US to close its borders to jobs leaving. I always thought that idea was silly, but after living here and meeting these people, the idea is even sillier. Frankly, that will be like holding back Niagara Falls with a teaspoon. It is just no longer the world reality.

Now countries like Poland are not going to take over the world tomorrow.  They still have political and infrastructure systems to improve. But they are improving them.

So, I not only have to worry about my children competing against other US children when they graduate college, but also worry about children from all over the world becoming part of the employment pool. And their skills are good!

Now my comments are directly based my Poland experience (which I doubt anyone would have thought would be a threat to future US jobs).  But Poland is just one of many countries all doing the same thing throughout Central and Eastern Europe, India and Asia. The job candidate pool gets larger every year, and companies have lots and lots more choices for smart new workers.

So what is my advice for my children in this new world order? I have no idea. If I did, I would write a book and not need a Fulbright to travel and experience Europe. I just know the playing field has grown much larger, and I must admit I am impressed with their progress.

My next blog will be over the similarities and differences in teaching these students and my teaching style.

0 comments: