Thursday, June 24, 2010

A side trip

Lisa left Poland last Friday (if you have not read her blog on traveling adventure- is it worth it) http://anamericanhouseholdinpoland.blogspot.com/2010/06/long-trip-home.html

I had to finish up some things, plus I was involved in a conference at the University- so I did not leave Poland until Sunday.

Also, Lisa does not like her and I to take the same flight (same policy as the President and Vice President; guess which one I am).

However, I still have grant money left and one of my favorite conferences was this week. So, when I left Poland, I went further north to Aalborg Denmark.

I am attending the International Schumpeter Society Conference (aren’t you sorry you missed it?). It is where 300 of the world’s top evolutionary economists (and me) come together to talk our trade and research. Now, I would typically be attending this conference anyway (even coming from the States for it)-and since it was just an extra few days and an hour plane ride, I stayed around Europe. This had been planned before I even came to Poland.

As I mentioned before, Denmark is one of my favorite countries in the world. This is my 5th or 6th trip here since 2004. It is particularly nice in the summer. Although I have been to Denmark many times- this is my first trip to Aalborg. It is a rather small city, about 100,000 people- with a big University.

Aalborg is rather far north, further north than Gdansk, Copenhagen and even Edinburgh Scotland- so this is probably the furthest north I have been. The City of Aalborg is about as close to Norway as it is Copenhagen. Which also means the sun is up even longer. It starts to rise about 3:30am, but does not set until about 11pm.

I arrived in Aalborg on Sunday night and the conference started Monday. But by this time the family had been back in Kansas 48 hours.

Another reason Lisa was glad I went to this conference during her first week back- was I would “just get in the way” to getting things correctly back in order. I accept that.

The conference was good and I got to see some people I wanted. The major academic book publishers were there selling the latest editions (we use to be able to get these for free- but times have changed. I only bought two). However, we failed to solved any of the world’s problems (that will be next year). It ended Wednesday night and for all practical purposes I should have returned home on Thursday. However, oddly enough traveling on a Thursday was several hundred dollars more expensive than on a Friday. And when your one way ticket already costs over $1,000- that is significant.

So instead, I spent Thursday catching up on some work and I took a nice walk through this beautiful city. It is a typical Denmark city (Middle Age structures and modern art). It sits on a long fjord (what a cool word).

My cab picks me up at 5am for a 6:30 flight and then back to the States for the first time since September. I need to hurry home get in line for one of those new iphones!

I will blog on my 17 hour trip home this weekend. But lets just say I travel Aalborg-Copenhagen-Brussels-Chicago-Kansas City.

 Bridge across the fjord, with the span open to let through some sail boats

Row of old style Denmark houses

Nice Architecture

Modern Art of a homeless woman sleeping in a cardboard box (in bronze). Need Martin and Donna to explain this one to me.

More great Denmark houses and buildings





1 comments:

The Chic Chauffeur said...

I will miss your travelogues, but glad to have you back in person! Safe travels!

ps. Save your money on the phone, get the Ipad!!!!!