Of course, McDonald’s is everywhere on the planet. I don’t think I have been anywhere in the world where there was not one within a mile or so.
Also, all McDonald’s look basically alike. Same fixtures, same hard plastic table and molded chairs. Ronald’s face is everywhere. Only the language of the signs are different. Otherwise once in a McDonald’s you would not know if you were in Kansas City, Australia or Poland. All very clean and friendly people. They all even have wi-fi and serve McDonald’s lattes.
The other thing about McDonald’s are the first several items on their menu are the same. Big Mac comes first, Quarter Pounder, etc. etc, even Happy Meal with a toy.
Although I am not a big fan of McDonald’s (or fast food)- no matter where I go in world I always walk into the local one. What interests me are the items at the bottom of the menu. These are usually specific to a country’s taste. In Denmark they had lots of different fish sandwiches at the bottom. In Hungary they had a pork patty sandwich. So, I am always on the look out for what different items a local McDonald’s has on their menu.
I have one here in my neighborhood. In fact, this is where Ben spent his 15th birthday last Oct (2009).
McDonald’s words are a universal language. Although each sandwich has its translated name (recall the scene in Pulp Fiction)- a Big Mac is a Big Mac everywhere.
I love going into the Polish McDonald’s. People go up to the counter and do their food order. Swish, swish, swish (that is what much of the Polish language sounds like in the my head)- swish, swish, swish, Big Mac, swish, swish, swish. And out comes a number 1.
But as I said each country has some of their own items. So, today I went into our local McDonald’s and found a new sandwich (I even ate one). It is called the Kanapka Zbojnicka (or swish, swish, swish).
Now the Kanapka Zbojnicka is an interesting McDonald’s offering.
You get a quarter pound burger, white provolone cheese, a thick hash brown potato patty, bacon, honey mustard sauce: all on a sun dried tomato and cheddar bun.
Not a bad sandwich. I did not even look at the fat or calorie content as this was international research.
But McDonald’s is not alone. Just next door is a new sign. “Starbucks coming soon”.
The End of This Story
16 years ago





3 comments:
Uh! That sandwich looks awful!! Interesting to see that Starbucks is using the "old" logo in Gadnask...complete with English "Coffee."
Sylvia
What about drinks? All sodas? No local favorites?
You seem to have forgotten about KFC? Plenty of locations, and some consider their offerings superior to MD.
Post a Comment