Well, we knew we would have to be flexible on this trip and we are already being tested.
If you read my wife's blog- http://anamericanhouseholdinpoland.blogspot.com/ you already basically have heard this story.
I had always knew I need a special type of Visa to work in Poland. However, it was my understanding that this was being done for us in Warsaw. Well, I was wrong.
I emailed the Warsaw office at 5pm on Wednesday to ask what to do, of course they are seven hours ahead of us. I woke up every hour during the night to check my email. At 5 a.m., the answer came in- you're screwed!
I was told that not only did I have to get this myself- but it can ONLY be done at the Polish Consulate that governs your state of residence in your home country. For Kansas, that is in Chicago. So, I was on a 9 a.m. flight that morning to Chicago to personally appear at the Consulate with my paperwork (keep in mind I am leaving on the 8th).
As you know, lots of Poles live in Chicago- and every damn one of them was at the Consulate that morning. You could barely get in the front door. I waited in line 4 hours to get the chance to tell my story. No sleep the night before, no food as I went right from the airport to the Consulate, and deeply panicked.
When my number was called about 4pm- I went to the window. I told her my story and she they COULD expedite the paperwork.
She then asked when I was leaving- I said the 8th. She just started to say "impossible". She then brought over her supervisor, who also started to say "impossible". They even elevated my case to the General Consulate of Chicago- after 20 minutes of deliberation- he said "impossible". I was starting to get the message.
Basically he said I could get my work VISA quickly, but there was no way I was getting on a plane on the 8th (they have to take your passport to issue a work Visa).
After much deliberation, he felt he could get me a work Visa and passport back on the 10th or 11th and it was safe to fly out Saturday or Sunday. I flew back to KC that night tired, hungry and frustrated.
So, now I am booked to leave on the 12th. In the grand scheme of things, I only lost 4-5 days (and several hundred dollars in expenses). But I had lots planned in Gdansk to include meetings at my University, getting my apartment, phones, etc. I will now only be in Gdansk about 24 hours before I have to leave again for Warsaw. So, everything is tightened immensely.
What could have occurred had I not discovered this missing document, and went on the 8th?
This is what I learned:
1) I could have been denied entry into Poland by customs, and sent right back home.
2) If I was let in- I would only be allowed to stay for 90 days (a tourist Visa). Then I would have to leave the country- return to Chicago, apply for a work Visa, get it, then return back to Poland.
First of many hiccups to come, I'm sure.


0 comments:
Post a Comment