Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On the Downhill Side

This could be my last blog from the U.S. Assuming all goes well, I will be on a plane Saturday and arrive Sunday. I travel from KC to Chicago to Warsaw to Gdansk. About 16-18 hours door to door.

The Chicago Tribune did a nice little story on traveling to Gdansk in their travel section- check it out: http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/family/sns-200909041053tmstravelrsctnri-a20090908sep08,0,4855264.story

Our boxes of personal items were shipped today. All told about 200 lbs. Our boxes are being sent to a shipper in Massachusetts who specializes in parcels to and from Eastern Europe. They will put them on a shipping container and send them via cargo ship. It will take about 4-6 weeks to arrive- but it was only .60 cents a pound. Also, you are allowed to check two 50 pound suitcases with you on the plane- so we will also transport a lot that way.

I will admit, I am a very seasoned international traveler. I have traveled overseas more times than I can count. But I am learning an entirely new set of rules, regulations and issues for those who travel and then stay and work overseas more than 90 days. Very frustrating and enlightening. I have never had to deal with 90% of these issues in all my other international trips. Every day is a new little glitch.

Lisa's car will hopefully be sold tomorrow- then she will use mine until she leaves. Once that is done, the only other major item remaining is to turn the house over to the new tenants. Lisa has been working very, very hard to get the house in order. She has stripped and cleaned it stem to stern. We (she) had no idea how much work it is to leave for 10 months. I will owe her a big pair of Polish Amber earrings or something.

Fall has already started in Gdansk. When I arrive, the highs will be in the upper 50s or low 60s and the nights in the 40s. That said, global warming is really adjusting city's temperatures (as evidenced by how cool KC was all summer)- so not really sure what to expect this winter.

As we are right on the sea, we get the effect of little snow and not being AS cold as other parts of Poland (it tends to hover in the 20s and 30s in the winter). Our biggest adjustment from KC will be that winter lasts longer and the hours of daylight are less. To give you an idea of how far North Gdansk is- it is at the same latitude as Edmonton Canada and Dublin Ireland (It would be north of Washington State but south of Anchorage Alaska).

I land in Gdansk on Sunday, then take a cab to our new house. My agent will meet me and I will spend Sunday night there. Then I start Monday with getting to know my surroundings and visit my University. I will write more upon my arrival. Lots of new stuff ahead.

0 comments: