Saturday, February 13, 2010

Something Else.....

As we have been on holiday for nine days, and combined with traveling all over Europe since September, you start to take the sites for granted. We were at a point of saying “Oh look, another thousand year old building, with tremendous historical significance. Ok, let’s move on.”

So, we really needed something else, a zoo. We traveled outside the city to the 170 year old Dublin zoo (which would still qualify as a very old historical structure in the US). It was a nice day (low 40s), and pretty sunny. The zoo was not crowded and we were able to get around to things quickly. The zoo is newly renovated and done quite well. They have natural habitats for the animals, which gets you very close- I still think back to the KC Zoo as a kid and those horrible cages with rusting sharp curved bars.

They have two nice sections, one on primates and one on African animals. The kids really enjoyed watching the monkeys play (not realizing I see the exact same behavior everyday). One chimp in particular made sure we were well entertained. Then off to the big African animals, tigers, elephants, etc. It was a wide open space and and everyone could express themselves how they wanted without harm. Keep in mind we have been in museums, where a single spin of a coat could destroy a priceless artifact. So we really needed the change of pace. We spent a good three hours at the zoo.

We then arrived back home- I made sure we walked past the Molly Malone statue, and into Temple Bar. Temple Bar is the cultural eating and drinking area of Dublin. We found a “traditional” (read “for tourist”) Irish restaurant and had a very good dinner. Irish stews, Stews made with Guinness, Fish and Chips (with mushy peas) and of course, an order of chicken nuggets. Washed down with a good Irish cream ale: Kilkenny. They played Irish folk music overhead. Expensive meal, but worth the experience.

On Friday, we had planned something else very different. Many of you know that I spent about a year researching the Gartland ancestry. The US branch of the Gartlands started when my Great Grandfather, Lawrence Gartland, moved from County Wicklow, Ireland in 1880. I have his records of journey and naturalization as a US citizen. He settled in St. Louis in the 1880s as a gravedigger and lived until the 1950s. He left Country Wicklow at or around the same time as his sister to find work, but without his parents (he was 20 at the time). It is commonly believed that his father was named Myles Gartland, who lived in and never left County Wicklow. I have not yet found information on that generation. Most Gartland men are either named Lawrence or Myles. My son is at least the fifth Myles Gartland in the family tree. My father is the third Myles and I am the fourth that I have found so far.

Anyway, I just have documented that Lawrence was from County Wicklow, which is the county directly south of Dublin. So we hopped on a train and rode directly down the Irish Sea coast to County Wicklow. I had nothing in particular to look at other than being in County Wicklow, the Gartland’s ancestral lands. It felt nice to be in a homeland.

Of surprise to us was the sea. Dublin is near the sea, but the main source of water you see is the River Liffey. Of course, Ireland is an island and surrounded by sea. On it’s eastern banks is the Irish Sea. It has tall and rocky cliffs with the water breaking along. Truly a lovely scene. The train rode right along the seaside, sometime just feet from the edge of the cliffs.

On our train trip back- I had run out of gas, as had Ben and Natalie. So much in nine days. Lisa and the smaller kids had other ideas. They wanted to see an English speaking movie. So, half of us went back to the flat and half went to see a movie. We all got what we wanted.

Edinburgh Scotland and Dublin Ireland were great. I think however both Lisa and I give the edge to Edinburgh.

So, holiday is over and we are back to Poland, where we hope Spring starts soon!

0 comments: